Saturday, April 05, 2008

Restaurant Week: Chez Oskar

Last week was Restaurant Week in Brooklyn. Participating restaurants were offering 3-course Prix Fixe meals for just 23 bucks! With so many choices, it was hard to decide where to go but we settled on Chez Oskar; a neighborhood institution that's had solid reviews and is always full of patrons. I'd say it was a 'nice' experience overall. I wasn't wowed by all 3 courses, but I'd go back again.

The weakest course was my starter. This was a Restaurant Week special so I am not sure what it's called (not on the regular menu). It consisted of blanched leeks with a dijon dressing and a very light cheeze - I think ricotta? It was pretty flavorless.

The entree made up for it! It was a roasted cornish hen over creamy polenta. The flavor was great. The polenta was especially good -- it tasted buttery with a slight hint of cheese.

The Flourless Chocolate Cake was perhaps the highlight. It was more like a mousse -- light in texture and rich in chocolatey flavor. The one criticism is that once you finished the ice cream on the side, it became a little heavy.

So, ratings wise, I would give the meal a B-. That said, I think I just didn't order the right things. My cousin ordered the Lamb Shank, which was pretty amazing served with caramelized onion and potato fennel gratin and my husband ordered the Grilled Salmon served with artichokes, snow peas and oyster mushrooms, which was also good, but not especially memorable.


No comments: